Friday, April 21, 2006

PERUGU CHARU/SPICY YOGURT

This dish is prepared during summer to cool the hot temperature. This dish is from coastal andhra the place I came from. May be other regions are also famous making this dish,If so I would like to know what they call this dish.

My grand mom and mom used to serve this every other day during summer even today they do this dish. I have changed their version a little. Here is my version for this dish. Its very simple not much to cook.

Here are the Ingredients used for this:

2 cups plain yogurt.
1 onion sliced.
salt to taste.

For tempering:
2 tblspn oil.
3-4 green chillie sliced very fine.
1/4cup peanuts(optional)
1/4 cup chana dhal(spilt chick peas).
1tspn mustard.
1/4 tspn turmeric powder.
curry leaves.
2 whole red chillies.
1/4 tspn hing ( asafeotida).
fresh coriander to granish.

How to make the tempering:

Take a saute pan and heat the oil, when the oil gets warm add whole red chillies and fry for a second, later add mustard seeds and allow the mustard to crack. Then add channa dhal and peanuts and fry till golden, later add turmeric powder, hing and curry leaves and fry. Last but not the least add the finely chopped green chillies and fry well. Add this mixture to the yogurt.
Take plain low fat yogurt in a bowl
In the yogurt bowl add sliced onions and salt
Now add the tempering mixture to the yogurt

After adding all these mix well and serve it with plain rice or u can serve this dish with rotis or even with any type of fried rice items. I even like to have this dish with minappa garelu(urad wada).

12 comments:

Lakshmi said...

bhale vundi Tanuja, mi perugu charu foto.

Tanuja said...

Thank u lakshmi:) I was just writing the recipe

RP said...

Looks delicious.

archana said...

My mother used to make something similar. I think she used to add lots of sauted grated ginger to it, and called it Ingi thair ( ginger yogurt in malayalam) . This recipe brings back memories. Thank you for writing about it.
Archana

KA said...

One of my favorite and easy to make recipes(may be the fact that it is easy to make; made it more likable for me :-)). Picture looks nice.

Kitchenmate said...

Tanuja: Cool recipe, I will sure give it a try:)

Vineela said...

Hi Tanuja,
I saw your recipe but not able to post a comment.I never tried with groundnuts and chanadal.
Next time i will add this and tell you."charu" means normally rasam kada name looks different.
Vineela

Tanuja said...

Hi Rp, Its delicious.

Hi Santhi,memu majjiga tho different ga chestamu we add some chanaga pindi and boil for majjiga charu.gatti perutho ayithe nothing to cook tempering tappa.

Hi Archanat,Thanks for visiting my blog. My mom's version also has ginger but I changed it with out adding.

Hi Arjuna,Yaa make be thats the same reason I like this dish too.

Hi Karthi,try and let me how it went, its really cool.

Hi Vineela,Basically I am from vijayawada In Andhra we call charu not only for rasam,even sambhar we call pappu charu, majiga charu,like channa unnayi charulu:.
groundnuts vaste kids interesting ga tintunaru try and let me know.

Anonymous said...

I made this masala yogurt for dinner last night.. and it turned out really good and tasty. Both (me and my husband) liked it very much.. Its really easy to make and tastes really good. I am going to make it frequently..

Jyoti

Anonymous said...

bongu laaga vundi meedi.. thu..

Anonymous said...

Idi eppudo maa nayanamma chesindi, Bongu lo coastal andhra dish na idi. Loafer andhra gallu everything twist chestaru lafoot dana.

Mohan Das said...

Good. Help us with more dishes..