Thursday, August 03, 2006

Chanagapappu Gongura/Sorrel Channa Dhaal

Here is my entry for Lg GBPS.After seeing the beautiful gardens from my fellow bloggers I could not stop myself from growing veggies in the contianer in my small patio corner,Its some thing lovely expeirence one can not express himself seeing the fresh flowers or veggies that comes out after ur hard work.

As my veggies are not yet ready, I would like to share my younger brothers garden, He does this summer project every year,This beauty shows the hard work he and his wife contributed for this lovely garden, He grows sorrel/Gongura,chilli,tomato,lemon cucumber,Brinjal,squash,Bendi,Totakoora,curry leaves, the list keeps on going like this.

Here are few snaps of his beautiful back yard veggie garden,These are the veggies that came out of his garden arent they fresh and looks like eating them as it is:)
Posted by Picasa
Finally here is main ingredient I used from his garden for this project, Sorrel/Gongura is the leafy veggie we rarely get outside INDIA, In Andhra Gongura is also known as Andhra Maata(Mother of Andhra Food).Today I would like to share Channaga pappu gongura.

Posted by Picasa
Here is the recipe for Channagapapu Gongura:

Ingredients:

2 Cups Chanaga pappu/Chana Dhal/slit chick peas.
1lb sorrel/gongura leaves sliced finely.
1 small onion sliced.
2 green chillies sliced.
1/4 tspn turmeric powder.
1/2 tspn red chilli powder.
salt to taste.

For Tempering:

oil.
curry leaves.
1/2 tspn mustard seeds.
pinch of Hing.
pinch of mustard powder.
1 clove garlic crushed.
Fresh coriander to garnish.

Method:

First soak the chana dhal for a hr and, later take the pressure cooker add channa dhaal, finely chopped gongura/sorrel leaves,sliced onion,sliced green chilli,salt,turmeric,red chilli powder and add some water to it and cook until 3 to 4 whitles. If ur cooker has no whitle system dont worry u can cook for 25 to 30 mnts.

Remove the pressure cooker lid and change the dhaal into the serving dish, meanwhile prepare the tempering for the dhal. To temper take a saute pan and heat it up add some oil to the pan,when the oil is warm enough add rest of the ingredients like mustard seeds,hing whole red chilli,curry leaves,mustard powder, garlic and roasted them until the aroma comes out finally add the hot sizzling tempering to the dhal and serve it.

This dhal goes well with hot steaming rice or pulka, paratha.

Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

Ashwini said...

I tried gongura leaves for the first time last week and I loved them. Your recipe looks fab

Sudha said...

im having gongura leaves was just thinking what to make out of it.now that i have recipe from you tanuja.im surly gonna make this tom..thank you for sharing..

Vineela said...

Hi Tanuja,
Kooragayalu baga pandincharu me annaya ,vadhina.
anni fresh ga vunnayi.
Gongura pappu choosthe noruooruthundhi.
Thanks for sharing.
Vineela

Anonymous said...

Tanuja, You will not beleive it...I tried Gongura pappu yesterday for the first time. It was amazing. The entire house smelled of pappu for the full day. I had used toor daal (and made it like any normal daal with greens), now that I have an authentic recipe from you, I will surely give it a try. Thanks.

indianadoc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
indianadoc said...

'Andhramata' ki jai!!No wonder Gongura is called Andhramata....I think Telugus can neverr stop loving these wonderful leaves nor can anybdy else who has tasted it...good recipe indeed...

9:41 AM

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanuja,
Your Gongura senagapappu recipe looks great. Can you please tell mw about where you found gongura seeds/ plants in US? Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Good one looking nice!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Tanuja! That is just great! Just great! Thanks a lot. Fresh gongura...maybe next time I should plant that... Will be seeing more entries from your veggies too? I am just greedy hehehehe

Sudha said...

Tanjua, i just made the gongura pappu, it was a super duper hit at home.Both vinodh and taniya like them a lot.Now, sorrel goes to my shopping list every month..We call these leaves as Pulicha kirai...Thanks for this wonderful recipe..

indianadoc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shah cooks said...

hi
whats the little red berries in the snap? tomatoes? guess i can't make this without the gongura leaves..:(
the produce looks great..

Anonymous said...

Hi tanuja.Thanks for visiting my blog.can i add u to my blogroll.
gr8t photo for fresh veggies.

Surya Hith said...

Hi Tanuja,
I am visiting your blog first time. nice blog and nice recipes.I have never tried gongura leaves.I will surely buy that leaves on my next grocery shopping becoz I want to try this amazing dal recipe.If time permits visit my blog also.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanuja,

Gongura dal looks wonderful! Photos of the kids are very sweet, too :)

Radhika said...

Hi Tanuja,
First time to ur blog.really mouth watering recipes.I see the picture is it ur daughter she is sweet.U know i was in Atlanta,GA for the past 2weeks.Will try ur style gongura pappu very soon.

Knorr Soup said...

Tanuja, this is a completely delicious and healthy recipe using dal. We all know that dal contains proteins that are great to maintain excellent health, and you’ve hit the nail on the head, theoretically speaking. Good healthy dishes will keep off the food cravings, while at the same time helping you maintain your ideal weight and fight off the various obesity related diseases rampant today. For some expert tips and suggestions on healthy eating habits visit our blog at http://knorratseven.blogspot.com/.

Unknown said...

thank u for sharing new recipes
cotton sarees online | salwar kameez wholesale | designer sarees online | bridal sarees | designer salwar kameez | dress materials online